2012-03-18

gnutella setup with firewall configuration and port forwarding Fedora 16


Just wanted to jot some notes down about setting up gnutella to go through the standard firewall on Fedora 16.

I was getting this little annoying message from an ugly red icon on the lower right bar of Gnutella:

You appear to be firewalled both TCP wise and UDP-wise...

The message is actually much longer than that, but that should do for search engine purposes, so that folks might find this little tut.

Let's change that message to read this:
People can connect to you using both TCP and UDP.  Push should work and you will be able to receive out-of-band results for your queries.
With a happy little yellow smiley face wearing sun-glasses...

{WARNING:  This method involves changing your connection to the internet through router settings and firewall changes.  You MUST have administrator privileges to execute this method.  I highly recommend either having a thorough knowledge of how to reconfigure your internet connection should something go wrong OR having another computer handy to look up trouble shooting information on the internet to FIX what got broke, should you make a mistake.  Obviously, you will NOT have the ability to look up help on this computer once you screw up your internet connection .  (NO, I do not recommend just using a phone, there would be far too much stuff to look up; it would take eons that way.)  Please proceed with caution, I've literally spent a week fixing a network at my parents that I screwed up many years ago, because I made just a mistake or two.  Learn from my mistake.}

I've got a Netgear router.  The method is very similar in LinkSys, Belkin, D-Link or any router I've ever worked with.  I logged into the router by typing 192.168.1.1 into the url field in Chrome.  This, I find, works for most router configurations.  You need to know your login and password, of course.  If you don't, then try admin/admin or password/password or admin/password.  Often routers are setup with one of those combinations as the default.  Also, if you can't figure out the password, you should be able to reset the router to default settings and THEN use one of those.  Look up the router through the manufacturer to find this default login.  Sometimes, depending on your isp, resetting your router could leave the router non-functional without contacting the isp and running some procedure, but, because I always choose the do-it-yourself method of installation, I have never had that problem.

Go to the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering tab/menu.
On Netgear, I chose, "add custom service".
I named the service "gnutella", just so I would know what it was.
Chose service type TCP/UDP.
Choose a start port between 49152-65534 (these are the recommended ranges)  I usually go with 55555 or 50505 or something really easy to remember like that.  It's up to you.
Make the end port the same.  In my case, also 55555.
For Server IP address I entered 192.186.1.70
Leave the first three digits the same.  The last one "70" in this case, is the only one you generally want to fiddle with.
When assigning static IP's I stay below 100, and I stay above 20.  DHCP (when the router dynamically assigns an IP to all the machines attached to it WHEN it discovers them) seems to always start with single digit numbers.  Going up from 1 as it finds new devices that wish to connect.

Now go to your Network Connections.  Either just click on the icon in the upper right and then click Network Settings, or go to Acitivities/Applications/Network Connections.
I'm wired, but it's pretty much the same for wireless.
Click "Configure..."
Select the IPv4 tab.
Click the "Add" button on the right.
Enter the Server IP address you chose above (192.168.1.70 in my case)
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS servers: 8.8.8.8, 4.4.4.4 (the Google servers)
That should do it.  Now you have a static IP for that machine.  For THIS method you need it for the port forwarding to work.

Now that we've got the port forwarded, time to tell gnutella what it is:

Open gnutella.
Choose File/Preferences.
Under the "Network" tab at "Listen Port" enter 55555 ( or whatever you chose above ).
Network Protocol: IPv4 and IPv6.  Check box "Enable UDP" and "Enable DHT"
I went ahead and checked the box for Public hostname and entered a name, but this is somewhat irrelevant.
Leave the rest alone.
Now, the Fedora 16 part:
In the far upper left click on Activites and then choose Applications.  Find Firewall and open that.  You will be asked for your administrator password, so better know that.
Go to "Other Ports".
Click "Add" button on the right.
Select "User Defined".
Enter the port you chose (55555)
Select TCP.
Choose "Add" button again.
Select "User Defined">
Enter the port you chose (55555) yes the same one.
Select UDP.
Click Apply at the top.
That should do it!

Now I see a nice little smiley face at the bottom right of gnutella.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!