2011-07-05

Installing PyOpenGL in Windows XP

I'm going to post this as is. I kept a record on notepad as I went. It ain't exactly a tutorial. Just a weB LOG of figuring out what to do!

Used this site as a reference point, (among others):
http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/installation.html

It's sourceforge, so I tend to trust it, but I think it's wicked old...
BTW I am on my sister's family PC... ;) (stuck here dog-sitting)

Here's the rest:

Started just after 2:30am or so...

Installed (In Order):
python-2.7.2
PyOpenGL-3.0.1.win32

*could NOT install PyOpenGL-accelerate-3.0.1.win32-py2.6
because it requires Python 2.6 precisely.

- tried to install numpy-1.6.1rc2-win32-superpack-python2.6 (Numeric Python), but it
too requires 2.6.
-Downloaded the tarball file for Python 2.6.7 (Python-2.6.7.tar.bz2)j
-Downloaded and installed 7Zip.
-extracted the bz2 and then unzipped to the program files folder
- ^that did not work... apparently I need to use makefiles etc... and I'm not about to get into that whole process blind. Couldn't find any tutorials/instructions or forum chatter so...
-Downloaded MSI installer for Python 2.6
-^installed
-installed Numpy (see above)
-downloaded and installed PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.6

(http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/index.htm#pil117)
-Tried to install GLUT, but then realized that it SHOULD be included with the PyOpenGL
install (according to: http://pyopengl.sourceforge.net/documentation/installation.html)
-Downloaded PyGame installer for 2.6 (pygame-1.9.1.win32-py2.6) and installed.
-Installed PyOpenGL-3.0.1.win32
-Installed PyOpenGL-accelerate-3.0.1.win32-py2.6
-Installed Numpy

#will ANY OF THIS S#!T WORK? God knows...

It DID NOT appear to work (when I tried to run some Rubik's Cube/NEHE based code I found I got lots of discouraging errors, especially involving OpenGL calls and Numpy)

GACK!!!

Uninstalled everything I could find and re-installing... hopefully in the proper order this time...? (At least I already have all the installers found and dl'd)
4:31am

-Downloaded updated drivers for this crappy Intel video chipset on AK's PC and installed'em
-Restarting PC now
-Re-installed Python 2.6
-Downloaded and installed OpenGL Extensions Viewer 3.37
-It says that OpenGL 1.4 is the version on this PC
-Installed numpy-1.6.1rc2-win32-superpack-python2.6
-Installed PIL-1.1.7.win32-py2.6
-Installed PyOpenGL-3.0.1.win32 (which supposedly contains GLUT and GLE)
-When attempting to install PyOpenGL-accelerate-3.0.1.win32-py2.6 I got a pop up error
window. FAILED TO INSTALL ^^^^
-Spent an hour or so bouncing around the net like a fly caught in a spider web... googling
"pyopengl nehe" over and over in different forms

-FINALLY found http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyOpenGL-Demo
-This package contains most of the NEHE lessons ported to PyOpenGL
-Ran Lesson 5 and it worked!!! yay!!!

TOMORROW I work on getting the tune shader working AND THEN phong...
5:45am Ouch...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think!